Thursday, June 07, 2007

Wild hope.

The last class of the semester came and went in the blink of an eye. It was a strangely sombre affair -- I can hardly remember the last time I wasn't completely relieved that the semester had come to a close.

It's been 5 years since this blog went live, and how fitting it is that it commenced at the same time as my time here down under. The past 5 years have, in a nutshell, been absolutely phenomenal. There is nothing that I regret about the path that led me to where I am today, and I can truly say that I have been so, so blessed to have had the opportunity. The person that leaves this June is a far cry from that whom arrived in '02, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I've grown wiser. Matured, significantly. Somehow when you're given the sort of freedom that you've never quite experienced thus far, you oddly enough aren't compelled to run completely amok. You wash your own clothes, do the groceries, pay the bills; and cease to take these mundane everyday things for granted. I've smoked. Terrible things, cigarettes, but if you've tried them once and hate it it's rather unlikely that you'll try another. I've sat for and obtained a driving licence, and had the privilege of driving to school and back in dear old Edward. There's nothing quite like having a drive playlist on the speakers while snug inside with a heater amidst the pouring rain outside and watching the poor pedestrians run for cover. Driving out to the supermarket at 2 in the morning for nothing beyond a joy ride. Driving along the neverending bridge near Port Melbourne (I think!) with Car's Drive blasting and the absolutely gorgeous bright lights and river view outside. Driving, just driving.

I remember getting the remaining 3 of my wisdom teeth taken out here, and realising, stupidly, that it really didn't hurt at all (the dentist back home must've sucked real bad!).

Some things I'm not so proud of. I've been a total ass to people whom I care deeply about, and to this date I still have no idea what transpired then. I've let some others slip through the cracks. And regretted it, but it's rather too late to fix it now. Then there's the car accident, and the broken keychain as testament. I remember calling home, trying to be brave and nonchalant, but completely breaking down upon hearing a familiar voice. Being utterly mortified at the news that Edward was better off being scrapped, and the realisation that it was only another thing that I had to be indebted for.

I've had insane nights partying, and 6 consecutive weeks of mayhem. I still consider those to be some of the best times that I've ever had. I've (after proudly declaring my inability to ever get drunk enough to throw up) thrown up. Being nursed on a friend's couch while everyone else (including the visiting best friend :x) watches in sympathy is NOT something you really want to remember! I've loved (if you could call it that), and lost. I've made awesome friends; none of whom I would've met had I stayed in flogging-land and done that Arts degree. I've had more crushes than I can remember, some of them quite dubious... I've been groped in a gay bar (?), propositioned on another occasion, and... er, done a fair bit of stalking myself.

I've loved, hated, and loved this place all over again. Sure, there are heaps of things that annoy me about it. Public transport inefficiency. Loud, obnoxious locals. The skewed sense of nationalistic sentiment. Shitty customer service. And did I mention inefficiency? But this place is something you love to hate and hate to love, and 5 years is a long time to be in any one place without developing feelings of some sort (that holds true for people, too).

I've compiled a list of things to do before I leave. It seems to be growing by the day, and given that I really only have less than 3 weeks to go before I pack up and say goodbye, time is a ticking, and now or never is the essence of the day. Oh how I'll miss you.

***

She drove up the coast road crying. Deep down she knew that love was a lie she had sold herself so she wouldn't grow old alone. A lie that would cost her everything.