Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Stuck in a moment.

Random blog things today:

- I have a major, major craving for clam chowder right this very moment. My marinara mix currently sits in my freezer, but I simply don't have time to try out that recipe.

- I need a guy for whom I can buy nice, pretty ties! I have such a tie fetish it's tragic that E avoids ties whenever possible...

- There is a fucking big spider in the corner right above my head.

- Remember how I lamented sometime back that really, a thesis can be churned out in 3 months flat given the proper incentive? Well, that's currently coming into play. The past 5 months have been spent doing absolutely zilch save for an abstract and a slipshod lit review, and now that the damn thing is due in exactly 9 weeks (minus one day), it's major crunchtime around these parts. The scary thing is, because I'm so used to working under 24-48 hour datelines, 9 weeks still seems to be helluva long time -- only it isn't. As of today, I've really only written an abstract, that same slipshod lit review, and a methodology section that I'm currently burning through in prep for tomorrow's session with Umi. I haven't sat down with her for a proper thesis talk in months; she must absolutely hate me right now.

So anyway, it's not been fun so far. I know you're supposed to pick a topic you're terribly enthused and passionate about, but there's really only so much you can get it up for for ideological/propaganda campaigns in flogging-land. What I really want to write about isn't catered to in the Media and Communications faculty. It occured to me yesterday: If I'm already hating this mini 12k thesis so much, what more next years's whopping 22k killer?

***

We fight all the time
You and I, that’s alright
We’re the same soul
I don’t need, I don’t need to hear you say
That if we weren’t so alike
You’d like me a whole lot more

"Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" - U2