The secret life of us.
It's probably a strange thing to catch a local Singaporean movie here in Melbourne at the annual MIFF (Melbourne International Film Festival), but after this afternoon's Be With Me at the Capitol Theatre, I can safely say that I have no regrets whatsoever about having paid AU$11.50 to watch something that would've cost me approximately SG$7.50 had I caught it back in flogging land.
If, like me, your first impression of Be With Me was/is "Eric Khoo's artsy lesbian-themed flick", then make no mistake, you absolutely have to catch it to completely turn that misconception 180 degrees around. It is, quite simply, one of the best films I have ever caught in my entire life, much less one made by a local filmaker. Not that there were that many to begin with (that I've actually seen, that is), but it most certainly holds its own against the Hollywood bigwigs. A 5- minute ovation (and opening film) at Cannes' Director's Fortnight has to count for something!
In a nutshell, the "lesbian" segment of the film is so not the point; marketing it as such was quite a shallow and exclusive way of getting the film "out" there (especially in flogging land where artsy films are virtually non-existent). I'm sorry it received such a dismal showing (and response) back home, but on the bright side, it being more "artsy" than most subsequently catapulted it to its current international status. So yes, I left the theatre teary-eyed and red-nosed (shock!), but it was completely abrupt and unexpected. It's like I was moved, rather than coerced into sniffling, if that makes sense. It made me so, so proud to be sitting in a theatre full of people of other nationalities, basking in their rapt attention throughout and gushings after the credits rolled.
The synopsis and official film site can be found here. The trailer doesn't quite do it justice, imo, although I suppose there's only so much you can squeeze into a 30-second soundbite/clip. If the film is at first too slow-moving for your liking, please be patient; Be With Me is worth it (and how!).
My sad/heartwrenching film kaki: I can't imagine having watched it with anyone else.
***
"Be with me, my beloved love, that my smile may not fade."
It's probably a strange thing to catch a local Singaporean movie here in Melbourne at the annual MIFF (Melbourne International Film Festival), but after this afternoon's Be With Me at the Capitol Theatre, I can safely say that I have no regrets whatsoever about having paid AU$11.50 to watch something that would've cost me approximately SG$7.50 had I caught it back in flogging land.
If, like me, your first impression of Be With Me was/is "Eric Khoo's artsy lesbian-themed flick", then make no mistake, you absolutely have to catch it to completely turn that misconception 180 degrees around. It is, quite simply, one of the best films I have ever caught in my entire life, much less one made by a local filmaker. Not that there were that many to begin with (that I've actually seen, that is), but it most certainly holds its own against the Hollywood bigwigs. A 5- minute ovation (and opening film) at Cannes' Director's Fortnight has to count for something!
In a nutshell, the "lesbian" segment of the film is so not the point; marketing it as such was quite a shallow and exclusive way of getting the film "out" there (especially in flogging land where artsy films are virtually non-existent). I'm sorry it received such a dismal showing (and response) back home, but on the bright side, it being more "artsy" than most subsequently catapulted it to its current international status. So yes, I left the theatre teary-eyed and red-nosed (shock!), but it was completely abrupt and unexpected. It's like I was moved, rather than coerced into sniffling, if that makes sense. It made me so, so proud to be sitting in a theatre full of people of other nationalities, basking in their rapt attention throughout and gushings after the credits rolled.
The synopsis and official film site can be found here. The trailer doesn't quite do it justice, imo, although I suppose there's only so much you can squeeze into a 30-second soundbite/clip. If the film is at first too slow-moving for your liking, please be patient; Be With Me is worth it (and how!).
My sad/heartwrenching film kaki: I can't imagine having watched it with anyone else.
***
"Be with me, my beloved love, that my smile may not fade."

<< Home