Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Obras maestras.

Can I just say that the Pools' system sucks way worse than TAB in so many, many ways? Not only are the crowds here damn scary come match day, Pools also has approximately 5 standard kind of bettings: 1x2, 1/2, HT/FT, exact score and total goals, while TAB has fun things like half time score, method of result (full time, extra time, penaties etc), first team to score, and even/odd score, amongst other things! It makes it so much more difficult for a punter to survive here. If it's one thing about down under I miss it's the TAB system (and the weather!).

In other news, I had dinner in Chinatown for the first time in I don't know how many years yesterday, and it was quite the "complete" (insert snob comment here) experience: from yum hawker food to sweating profusely at roadside stalls, a clanging fire alarm throughout dinner and scary men (okay, man) asking for money way too up-close and personal -- someone had to chase him away for us; I swear he looked like he was gonna lynch us in another minute! The food was good and the atmosphere quite engaging (and enlightening, I have to admit), but I think it'll be a while til my next venture simply on account of the heat. Most people perspire a little in such circumstances, but as anyone around me will tell you, I just about dissolve into puddles of salt water even while in the shade outside... delicate constitution and all...

3 days til a. the results are out, b. the Japanese friend is in town, c. Keyaki (<3!!), d. Swissotel, and e. 1-for-1 margaritas at Iguana!

***

There are very many ways

I would like to break the spell
You've cast upon me

'Cause all the time
I sacrificed myself
To make you want me
Has made you haunt me

"The Weight of My Words" - Kings of Convenience