Friday, January 27, 2006

All here is parting and regret.

Noir says:
u know u
Noir says:
take cab from the mrt station back home
Noir says:
now u take bus from yck to hv to work?
Noir says:
stef
Noir says:
u are all grown up
Nour says:
*tear*

I guess it's about time I floof the layer of dust from this draft post.

Approximately 24 days and 4 weekends into my PR stint, a couple of my friends are still having trouble believing that I am: 1. currently working a 9 to 6+ job, and 2. also "slumming" it in commute by bus to the ridiculously far West each morning at 8. Truth be told I'm fairly stunned about it myself, but in the 3 weeks or so that I've been there, I've learnt more than the entire 3 months at the previous internship combined, plus the people are a pretty fun and welcoming bunch (high praise coming from me!) that I almost am happy to wake up and travel all the way there. Almost.

I get to eat whatever I want, whenever I want, and there's almost always a steady supply of snacks and drinks to scoff on in the kitchen at any time of the day. My office is a two-storey house in Holland V with aircon and wireless (and a kitchen, bathroom, and tv), and I get to read magazines and newspapers on the job. Oh, and we're 2 minutes away from Starbucks. Need I say more? It would certainly be nicer if I didn't have to take an hour long bus ride(s) across the island everyday, or squish with all the throngs of people on their way back after hours, or walk up a mini hill to get to the office, but it really is quite happening with all the hectic preparation for the many different events going on at the same time.

We held an AXN press conference for Mondo Magic two Thursdays ago, and last week was the Ford GT/showroom inauguration down at Alexandra Road, where basically we got to be jealous of the lucky people who won a ride in the fucking cool left-hand-drive car (see below). It's the only one of its kind here in flogging-land and isn't for sale, so that was pretty neat. Then there's the snowboarding @ Club Street event, and this week I get to work on the Animax and new Silverbird accounts for the next fortnight or so.



All in all, it's been a great experience, and not to mention it'll look great on a resume, and I get to work with one of the industry's best, but I think ultimately, I'm not particularly suited to the seemingly underlying crux behind PR -- you need, to a certain degree, to be able to project this constant perkiness (fakeness?) about you, even when the person you're talking to happens to be the bane of your entire existence. While I enjoy being around my colleagues (and they're nice people on the whole), you can't help but notice the little little things that make you realise -- fakeness (or a really unflappable disposition) is more often than not the way to go if you want to make paths in this industry.

To think that a week into the job, there I was seriously contemplating not going back down under to further my studies, and instead staying here for the next 2 years (or so) to continue working with them. Granted, I'd most likely work my way up the ranks fairly quickly given that it's a relatively small (but up-and-coming) start-up company and there's about to be a bit of a power vacumm in the month to come, but I honestly don't think I'm as yet ready to undertake a full-time job for anything more than two months. Don't get me wrong, it's a great industry... but it's not for me. Or at least, not now. It was all cool and fun and really quite exciting for the first week and a half or so, but now I think I'm quite ready to settle back to being a geeky comm. student with a semblance of a life.

Perhaps we'll be so lucky as to cross paths again two years from now, but for now -- thank you for the wonderful, wonderful memories.

***

Oh I watch you there through the window
And I stare at you
You wear nothing
But you wear it so well

"Crash Into Me" - Dave Matthews Band