Dante.
It's 6am in the morning, and I smell pie in the air. Freshly baked chicken pie or gorgeous chunky stew (!), and it's absolutely whetting my appetite but I have no idea if it's some early bird mother or just my imagination, since I also taste (yes, taste) the faint tang of Gucci Envy on my fingers right this very moment. It's weird, since perfume isn't something you usually taste (not under conventional circumstances at least...), but it's so acute that I can pinpoint exactly what scent it is. Which would provide a perfectly logical explanation for it if I actually used it, but I don't.
And then the day after I swear I smelt pad thai at 3am...
***
Combined post; it's 5pm on Sunday the 8th, and life is temporarily peaceful and happy. I've done prep for tomorrow's dumb 100-106 quiz (where the list of questions are provided beforehand...), and there's a 3-hour tv marathon of L&O:CI and NCIS tonight. I've had both breakfast and lunch for once (together with 2 ice coffees - "kopi, krimer dan gula!"), and there's 24-hour marinated cajun chicken sitting in my fridge for dinner in a bit.
Filled in an International Student Welfare survey form yesterday and it occured to me how absolutely guai (and boring) I am. I don't do drugs, I don't smoke, I drink only socially, and no, I don't have a gambling problem. My currently non-existent sex life precludes the possibility of unwanted pregnancies and STDs, and I have a caring family and social network both here and back home. Which leaves me with a predominantly straitlaced survey sheet indicative of a model young adult, of whom the country would be proud to have the entire relevant segment of its population consist of. I mean, I'm a star citizen, man.
Goldfrapp's Horse Tears is the latest addition to my (nsh) eclectic Brooding List (TM). Despite the odd (and entirely unrelated) title it's an awesome song to mope to, simply by virtue of the lead's haunting, mournful wail. If I had to recommend a single universal brooding song it'd be a toss-up between this and Madonna's lowkey collab with Massive Attack on I Want You.
And at the risk of sounding like a freak, I love Kelly Clarkson! She's actually got the pretty voice and above-average looks combined with a precarious mix of grunge/pop to appeal to both the groupies and those who steer clear of pop like an unwanted puppy at Christmas (fucking X Factor Rexona ad). Heard her version of Star Spangled Banner yesterday, and for a song that's deceptively difficult to sing (you need a damn big, expressive voice to properly pull it off) she did it exceptionally well.
Consider subsequent winners Ruben (Reuben?) and Fantasia, both of whom have yet to achieve even half as much acclaim or attention combined. It might have to do with the fact that she's had both the time and depth to work on her career, and the reputation of being the first (and thus most authentic) "American Idol" that the country's produced, but in her own right she's not only got a gorgeous voice, but the marketable personality to pull it off, which really is all that matters. I mean, you can have all the goods in theory; pitch perfect voice, artistic talent and killer looks, but still be a complete flop when it comes to album sales because of a lack of proper directional marketing.
I didn't really have a particular point to the above, aside from the fact that I have broken a rule and like her and her pop-py songs.
Done aimlessly rambling for the day, tv time.
***
All the world is a stage
And everyone has their part
But how was I to know which way the story'd go
How was I to know you'd break
You'd break my heart
"Take A Bow" - Madonna
It's 6am in the morning, and I smell pie in the air. Freshly baked chicken pie or gorgeous chunky stew (!), and it's absolutely whetting my appetite but I have no idea if it's some early bird mother or just my imagination, since I also taste (yes, taste) the faint tang of Gucci Envy on my fingers right this very moment. It's weird, since perfume isn't something you usually taste (not under conventional circumstances at least...), but it's so acute that I can pinpoint exactly what scent it is. Which would provide a perfectly logical explanation for it if I actually used it, but I don't.
And then the day after I swear I smelt pad thai at 3am...
***
Combined post; it's 5pm on Sunday the 8th, and life is temporarily peaceful and happy. I've done prep for tomorrow's dumb 100-106 quiz (where the list of questions are provided beforehand...), and there's a 3-hour tv marathon of L&O:CI and NCIS tonight. I've had both breakfast and lunch for once (together with 2 ice coffees - "kopi, krimer dan gula!"), and there's 24-hour marinated cajun chicken sitting in my fridge for dinner in a bit.
Filled in an International Student Welfare survey form yesterday and it occured to me how absolutely guai (and boring) I am. I don't do drugs, I don't smoke, I drink only socially, and no, I don't have a gambling problem. My currently non-existent sex life precludes the possibility of unwanted pregnancies and STDs, and I have a caring family and social network both here and back home. Which leaves me with a predominantly straitlaced survey sheet indicative of a model young adult, of whom the country would be proud to have the entire relevant segment of its population consist of. I mean, I'm a star citizen, man.
Goldfrapp's Horse Tears is the latest addition to my (nsh) eclectic Brooding List (TM). Despite the odd (and entirely unrelated) title it's an awesome song to mope to, simply by virtue of the lead's haunting, mournful wail. If I had to recommend a single universal brooding song it'd be a toss-up between this and Madonna's lowkey collab with Massive Attack on I Want You.
And at the risk of sounding like a freak, I love Kelly Clarkson! She's actually got the pretty voice and above-average looks combined with a precarious mix of grunge/pop to appeal to both the groupies and those who steer clear of pop like an unwanted puppy at Christmas (fucking X Factor Rexona ad). Heard her version of Star Spangled Banner yesterday, and for a song that's deceptively difficult to sing (you need a damn big, expressive voice to properly pull it off) she did it exceptionally well.
Consider subsequent winners Ruben (Reuben?) and Fantasia, both of whom have yet to achieve even half as much acclaim or attention combined. It might have to do with the fact that she's had both the time and depth to work on her career, and the reputation of being the first (and thus most authentic) "American Idol" that the country's produced, but in her own right she's not only got a gorgeous voice, but the marketable personality to pull it off, which really is all that matters. I mean, you can have all the goods in theory; pitch perfect voice, artistic talent and killer looks, but still be a complete flop when it comes to album sales because of a lack of proper directional marketing.
I didn't really have a particular point to the above, aside from the fact that I have broken a rule and like her and her pop-py songs.
Done aimlessly rambling for the day, tv time.
***
All the world is a stage
And everyone has their part
But how was I to know which way the story'd go
How was I to know you'd break
You'd break my heart
"Take A Bow" - Madonna

<< Home