Monday, May 02, 2005

But words are only words.

3.38am and I'm so tired I can't half be arsed to trudge to school for one lecture tomorrow. Things are getting way too dramatic for the most part, and I've also just discovered that Firefox brings up my blog with this weird scroll bar in the centre instead of the normal pretty black one as coded. It obviously irks me since I spent pretty damn long on it, so I'll have to either find some way to fix it or be an absolute priss and insist everyone on Firefox uses IE just for pulling up this page (likely I'll lose the readers first ;p).

On another note, everything in life that needs knowing I learnt from computer games. Okay, see, here's all these different types of consoles to choose from, and I happen to like the PS. Some people like the Xbox, or even Genesis (whatever they call it these days) or Gameboy, and that's fine... whatever suits their fancy, you know? Some people like more than one, some people a particular console more than others. Some like it big, and others prefer it small; some will like whatever they happen to chance upon, or whatever there's access to. Again, that's fine. To each his own.

And then there are the different types of games to choose from. Some games come highly recommended, but most of the time they end up a letdown because they can't match up to the hype. Others appeal solely to you and not to others; they're those that call out to you from the shelf. Some you don't normally like, but it has this absolutely irresistable package (;p), so you think what the hell, and you go ahead and try it out on a whim. If you like it, great. You'll be happy and sated and entertained for a while, until the next game comes along. And if you don't, you give it away to someone else who'll appreciate it better. Or you leave it on the shelf or in a box, neglected and forgotten.

Now that you've actually found a game you think you might want to try, you jump right into it. You have all these huge hopes and expectations, and the giddy joy often overrides the little flaws you gradually start to notice along the way. Tiny issues with the graphics, or the annoying glitches that pop up every once in a while, and those bloody hurdles you can't seem to get past (curses, TS2!).

Sometimes there is more than one way of successfully completing a level or goal, sometimes there's only one. Some hurdles are easier than others, so chances are you'll breeze through them. Others tend to be trickier, and perhaps they might even be issues that only pertain to you, the individual. Everyone else has such an easy time with the level, but you, you're stuck at the dumb jump because you can't work up enough strength to make it over the gap (@#$%! level 8 -_-). So you jump, and while some people know they won't be able to clear it, they just go ahead and try anyway, so they can a) say they've actually tried, and numerous times at that, or b) whine to the hapless confidante about their insurmountable failures. Sometimes you clear it, but most of the time, you don't, and you end up discouraged and more likely than not, pissed. Some people try again, others move on to other games. They might think back on it every now and then, but the memories still hurt and it's often best to focus on another game.

That having been said, a game is all about perfect timing. You can choose to jump now, and try and make it over to the other side without regard for the looming dangers/obstacles. You may succeed, and if that is indeed the case then props to you, because luck or the gaming gods were on your side. Or maybe you've just got some really deft fingers and know damn well how to use them. Others prefer to wait, shunning the temptations of easy spoils and a 50-50 percent chance of succeeding (or a try-all-til-one-fits strategy), for a single, well-executed jump that succeeds with perfect accuracy and timing. These people know what they want, and nothing (and I mean nothing, no matter what goodies swing by) will make them even think of settling for anything else.

At the end of the day, I have to state for the record that I'm stuck with Toy Story. It's been fun, but now that the glitches and hurdles are showing I'm starting to lose patience. Fast. And I'm starting to dream about Metal Solid 3...

***

What if it were paradise
What if we were symphonies

"Lonely No More" - Rob Thomas