Light on snow.
I've come to a spur of the moment semi-decision about what I want to do immediately after graduation. I want to see the world. Meet new friends and people of a different culture. Travel on my own and "rough it out", so to speak (yes, you can stop snickering now). I want to see the altered New York skyline, wander the cobblestones and cafes of Paris, and go dune surfing in Namibia. Unfortunately my budget (what budget?) will likely only cover one city, should the folks even be willing to sponsor or give the go-ahead, and there's only so much time I can possibly spend "on the road" without blowing my entire savings or squandering my entire self-imposed hiatus-before-working. You'd think they'd be somewhat apprehensive about it (it's not exactly safe for a solo female, afterall); but having not only gone on the SF sojourn this January but also had it fully sponsored, my parents still surprise me nowadays...
I guess I have it pretty good what with airfare and all, but there's still all the logistics of it, like where within those place to go, and hotel vs. motel, money and time issues... brother going into camp... yada yada. But I'm quite sure this is what I want to do for now. SF was an experience, and independent travel is so much more cathartic and enlightening when you actually go out there and do it instead of surmising what it would be like and what fun you'll have. I feel like I need to "find" myself at this point of time; get all the cultural and foreign exposure I can before age catches up with me and/or I'm too jaded with work and laden with obligations and commitments.
E's aunt mentioned having taken time off work and spent 6 (six!) months in Africa travelling on a jeep and living in straw and mud huts and just completely detaching from the world, and it sounded so absolutely enthralling at the time of sharing. While in practice I'm not sure the outdoorsy thing for half a year is entirely my kind of thing, it appeals so powerfully to one's sense of adventure and the whimsical "communing with nature" that I can't help but look at her and think, if she can do it, I certainly can... despite the fact that she went with some colleagues if I'm not wrong, and she certainly had been working for a fair amount of time to be able to afford to get away for so long without a constant income, etc.
So anyway. I want to get away.
***
The ones who made a difference
By withstanding the indifference
"Misread" - Kings of Convenience
I've come to a spur of the moment semi-decision about what I want to do immediately after graduation. I want to see the world. Meet new friends and people of a different culture. Travel on my own and "rough it out", so to speak (yes, you can stop snickering now). I want to see the altered New York skyline, wander the cobblestones and cafes of Paris, and go dune surfing in Namibia. Unfortunately my budget (what budget?) will likely only cover one city, should the folks even be willing to sponsor or give the go-ahead, and there's only so much time I can possibly spend "on the road" without blowing my entire savings or squandering my entire self-imposed hiatus-before-working. You'd think they'd be somewhat apprehensive about it (it's not exactly safe for a solo female, afterall); but having not only gone on the SF sojourn this January but also had it fully sponsored, my parents still surprise me nowadays...
I guess I have it pretty good what with airfare and all, but there's still all the logistics of it, like where within those place to go, and hotel vs. motel, money and time issues... brother going into camp... yada yada. But I'm quite sure this is what I want to do for now. SF was an experience, and independent travel is so much more cathartic and enlightening when you actually go out there and do it instead of surmising what it would be like and what fun you'll have. I feel like I need to "find" myself at this point of time; get all the cultural and foreign exposure I can before age catches up with me and/or I'm too jaded with work and laden with obligations and commitments.
E's aunt mentioned having taken time off work and spent 6 (six!) months in Africa travelling on a jeep and living in straw and mud huts and just completely detaching from the world, and it sounded so absolutely enthralling at the time of sharing. While in practice I'm not sure the outdoorsy thing for half a year is entirely my kind of thing, it appeals so powerfully to one's sense of adventure and the whimsical "communing with nature" that I can't help but look at her and think, if she can do it, I certainly can... despite the fact that she went with some colleagues if I'm not wrong, and she certainly had been working for a fair amount of time to be able to afford to get away for so long without a constant income, etc.
So anyway. I want to get away.
***
The ones who made a difference
By withstanding the indifference
"Misread" - Kings of Convenience

<< Home