Sunday, April 03, 2005

The beautiful letdown.

Compiling a "Songs to Cry To" list, as dubbed by PCB, is hard work. First there is the arduous task of differentiating between the different kinds of need to let it all out, so to speak; which in and of itself is a bitch since it all depends on circumstance and/or mood. An angsty cry is obviously different from a sad cry (god, I sound like a psycho), so a song that speaks of woe-is-me or unrequited love etc. can't be grouped together with one that laments the ending of a love affair, or one that is entirely unrelated but still touches a vulnerable chord. That which differentiates a 'Crying Song' from a 'Brooding Song' is exactly that - it has to be able to evoke (or, well, close to) tears, for whatever reason, given the appropriate mood. So while Come Undone is in effect an awesome song for angst, it doesn't quite bring out the bawling wuss in me, and thus is missing from the list. (That I even can be bothered to spend time analysing such trivial things clearly speaks of my lack of proper things to do this hols...).

Anyway. The "Crying List", so far:

The Angsty (Note: Not 'Brooding').

1. Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough - Don Henley & Patti Smith
2. Insensitive - Jann Arden
3. It Must Have Been Love - Roxette
4. Willing to Forgive - Aretha Franklin
5. Why - Annie Lennox
6. Never Is A Promise - Fiona Apple
7. Do What You Have To Do - Sarah Mclachlan
8. Should I Stay - Gabrielle
9. Over You - Gabrielle

The Wallow-in-Pity.

1. I Can't Make You Love Me - Bonnie Raitt
2. Can't Cry Hard Enough - Susan Ashton/Williams Brothers
3. Blame It On My Youth - Jane Monheit
4. I'm Not Supposed To Love You Anymore - Trademark
5. I'll Say Goodbye For The Two of Us - Expose
6. One Fine Day - The Chiffons

The Personal/Unrelated-But-Still-Tragic.

1. Over the Rainbow - Eva Cassidy
2. Glasgow Love Theme - Craig Armstrong
3. Ting Hai - Zhang Hui Mei
4. Dreaming of You - Selena
5. My All - Mariah Carey

***

Just back from dinner with the gang at Squires. Pretty good (and whopping huge) scotch fillet with even better sauce (Made in China. Sauce sold separately.), but mostly, it was the company that brought it out. Cam-whoring at Port Melbourne after; deja vu of an awesome night long past. Thanks guys, and god, I am officially old.

On another note, the big statement that comes from our societal standard is, "If you truly love me, you wouldn't need anything but me". Do you really believe that you can meet all of someone's needs and stay true to yourself? How impossible is that? [Much thanks to JTP.]

***

"I have no intention of breaking down her prejudices. I want her to believe in god and virtue and the sanctity of marriage and still not be able to stop herself. I want the excitement of watching her betray everything that is most important to her. Surely you understand that. I thought betrayal was your favourite word."

- Vicomte de Valmont, Dangerous Liaisons