Saturday, December 04, 2004

The Unbeliever.

Back from Switzerland with no less than a marked phobia of trains (goodbye MRT), a broken, sore body and a bruised right asscheek. To cut a needlessly long story short, my entire time in the Alps can really be summarized as such:

7am: Trudge to bathroom
8am: Down for breakfast
9am: Set off for Interlaken Ost train station
930am: Board train to overhyped "Mountain of the Day"
1230pm (yes, you got that right): Arrive at destination
1pm: Trudging through empty village leaving desolate snow tracks
2pm: Back on return-bound train
5pm: Arrive at Interlaken dead tired from the journey
6pm: Dinner
7pm: TV (all in German, mind you. Thank god for universal MTV.)
830pm: Bath
9pm: Sleep (because you're so fucking beat from train-travelling and not so much the trekking)
7am: Trudge to bathroom...

"Highlights", if they can be termed as such, include the seemingly endless train rides up the Jungfraujoch (shamelessly marketed as "the top of Europe"), which at least was fairly worth the time spent on the tracks but not the ridiculous price [an extra of $156 per person on top of the already extorbitant 8-day Swiss Pass (which came up to $1080 for the 4 of us...)]. Everything else in between that and snowboarding on the last day was a blur, given that snow season only really starts on the 4th of Dec and runs are only officially open on weekends as a result.

The actual snowboarding incident (which shall not be overly into detail for fear of permanent defamation) itself was... memorable, to say the least. Let's just say, for the record, it was a feat in itself. 5 days (and much excruciating pain) later, my body is slowly beginning to heal.

Pictures for the voyeurs to be up later.

***

I was thinking, for me it's better that I don't romanticize things that much anymore. I was suffering so much all the time. I still have lots of dreams, but they're not in regard to my love life. It doesn't make me sad, it's just the way it is.

I can't deal with the day to day life of a relationship. You know, we have this exciting time together, and then he leaves and I miss him, but at least I'm not dying inside. When someone is always around me I'm like suffocating.

I mean, I'm really happy only when I'm on my own. Even being alone, it's better than sitting next to a lover and feeling lonely. It's not so easy for me to be all romantic. You start off that way, and after you've been screwed over a few times you forget about all your delusional ideas and you just take whatever comes into your life.

That's not even true; I haven't been screwed over, I've just had too many blah relationships. They weren't mean; they cared for me, but there were no real connection or excitement, or at least not from my side.

Watched it twice on the flight back, and still it takes my breath away.

***

Deep down you know it's best for yourself but you
Hate the thought of her being with someone else
But you know that it's over
Been knew it was through
Let it burn
Let it burn
Gotta let it burn

"Burn" - Usher