Friday, December 31, 2004

Flowers in December.

For some reason or another it pleases me greatly (sadistically so) that Channel 5 will not be telecasting the countdown celebration at Sentosa on account of the tragedy. Nyah. At least someone has a sliver of priority around here.

So 2004's come and gone, and I can't say I feel any heartfelt emotion upon the arrival of its successor. No relief that the year's left us another in its wake, or eager anticipation for the one ahead; just a fair bit of indifference. Which really could be the summation of my entire attitude towards the New Year. Being made to have lunch at the paternal Grandma's tomorrow. Yay for under the radar gatherings. -_-

Looking back upon and filing memories under the months of 2004 is a trying episode in itself.

In January I blasphemed myself through Sunday church service and oddly enough, experienced the exact same things I am right now (which goes to show, some things don't change). Chinese New Year came and went with less distastefulness than expected (and some things do, when you least expect them to).

February I missed N's 25th birthday [sorry :(] after a crazy bout of inopportune indigestion (alliteration, yay me), and went cringe-worthily gaga over The L Word (Bette!!! <3),>didn't get it. Caught Landmarks with Viv and HOSAF with PCB, and lived (albeit just barely) to tell the tale.

March had me experience a near moment of guiltstruck desire for penitence after watching The Passion, but alas, the spirit was willing but the flesh just couldn't get out of bed early the next day.

In April I turned 21, alone.

May saw me officially fall so deepdeepdeeply in love with Blondie (and into the dredges of weekly orgasmic SVU heaven), as well as commence driving lessons (which I now miss, together with the Volks). Also the month of depression and such acute vehemence and anger it scares me somewhat to think about it now.

June, ah June. Where do we begin? Burned out on the bi-annual essay-rushing season and essentially fucked myself of a decent average that semester, juggled both the visit from the folks and rushing to and fro from school with assignments due late into the morning. Rushed back to flogging-land for the brilliant Sarah Brightman concert, and just a few days later headbanged and shrieked the night away at the LP gig (talk about diversity?).

July was the month of beginnings and endings, of doors closing and opening. Of reparations and coming-to-terms, and numerous failed tanning attempts. (Editor's note: You're still like the twelve year old boy sitting behind me in class, pulling my hair. Punching me. Teasing, taunting, because he likes me.)

In August school resumed, and the tsunami of work was near unbearable. 110-218 and Media Law drove me absolutely nuts (but oh, how the tide turned). Things, too, were hazy. I doubted and tried to stay away, to distance myself so I could see just how wrong we were. I dubbed MFV as your song.

September had my nose glued to novels, of sucky Sputniks and Naked Husbands in a time reserved for diligence and assignments. The green-eyed monster tormented me, until I embraced it as a part of who I was.

In October change was imminent across the ocean; the night we called it a day. Casablanca fever was in the air, and there was much, much lusting over a certain dishy hunk with a wrench (Scott!!! <3).

November saw the fate of the US forever sealed as the nation of war and lies. Switzerland was the land of endless mountains and snow, of beautiful leggy blondes with stylish cropped hair. I fell in love with the charms of Before Sunset all over again.

In December the doubts reappeared, riddled with uncertainty about whatcouldhavebeen. It was the month of renovation, of the new in lieu of the old, and of loss.

As for January, January holds the promise of territories yet unexplored. There will be the facing of hopes and fears, and perhaps the confirmation of things we have known all along but were too afraid to see...

***

In a year from now
Maybe there'll be things we wish we'd never said
Maybe in a year from now
Maybe we'll see each other
Standing on the same street corner

"Say Goodbye" - S Club 7 (o_O)