Saturday, February 14, 2004

In my secret life.

"The acting is brilliant; Ben Kingsley, Oscar-nominated for Best Actor, as an Iranian immigrant who buys a foreclosed property, and Jennifer Connelly matching his intensity as the evicted owner who demands it back. For both characters the American Dream will spiral into Greek tragedy. Andre Dubus III's 1999 bestseller was a commentary on being, and becoming, American, and this adaptation is bleak, sorrowful and devastating."

It's only February, but the contest for the movie of 2004 has ceased. Or rather, been seized. For anyone who has yet to catch it (WHY?!!), House of Sand and Fog has got to be the most intense, most utterly tragic (read: bawl-worthy) film *OF ALL TIME*. A dozen crumpled wads of nacho serviettes speak for themselves, not to mention my dubious partner in crime. ;p And here I was, thinking I Am Sam was bad. Or... well, good, depending on which way you look at it. There is, absolutely no contest.

Ben Kingsley for this year's Best Actor Oscar, without a doubt. [Okay, maybe Sean Penn. But Mystic River... -_-]

***

Spent the day with the meanies at East Coast in what must have been the equivalent of a year's worth of exercise. Blading, and kayachting (;p). What a way to go.

Yachting on the phone. Tickled.

Anyhow, another day of shameless milking of the masses gone by; another seasonal boom for florists and restauranteers worldwide. More than valid reason to rejoice in my 'enlightened' cynicism this Valentine's, but somehow I only feel crippled inside.

***

I bite my lip, I buy what I�m told:
From the latest hit, to the wisdom of old.
But I�m always alone, and my heart is like ice
And it�s crowded and cold in my secret life.

"In My Secret Life" - Leonard Cohen