Saturday, February 08, 2003

Just got back from dinner at a relative's. Not so distant where blood relations are concerned, but miles apart emotionally. A sad excuse for a gathering, anyhow. Mom and bro *conveniently* had something on since they already turned up for the New Year one... so mehhhh. Stuck without an excuse, I trudge off with dad to the Happy House.

Don't even know which kid cousin's birthday it is (already toldja we weren't close) til I step through the door... only to be bombarded by an assortment of fluffy exclamations that can be unanimously summarized as: "Oooohhh! You're back already ah?!". Like, duh. There I am, right in the flesh and I *still* have to spell it out. Sighhh.

Anyhow, dinner is okay... food-wise. My wonderful itinery consists of counting spots on their 6 "Lo Han" fish (ugly things, they are), then the same with the guppies (17, to be exact)... then finally resigning myself to being glued to the television while a Chinese karaoke contest goes on. And all that, just to avoid dreaded superficial conversation that really gets us all nowhere. But apparently resistance is futile because barely 10 minutes into the show, I find myself simultaneously cornered by 3 nosy (but probably good-intentioned, *shrug*) aunties.

"How is the weather over there?", one exclaims, inching as close as she can without actually touching me. "And school?", she follows without missing a beat, after I semi-patiently explain that although its summer "over there", the weather fluctuates with a mind of its own. "Wah! So good la, at least the time wasn't wasted!" upon discovering from ever-helpful dad, that I start Uni in 2 weeks.

I smile weakly and nod, feeling a little like throwing up at this point from the excessive saccharine sweetness. Dad gets the hint, I guess, when I finally resort to shaking my watch and tugging none-too-patiently on his shirt-sleeve before looking furtively towards the door.

I say my hurried goodbyes with a sudden burst of purpose and energy, then break into a run for the lift.

Thankfully, I fall asleep in the car on the way home. Its been a really long day.

***

NB: The above is a figment of the author's vivid imagination after she awakes to find herself, strangely, at home.